A Dress For Lily

Wow it’s been quite a while since I’ve done baby sewing! This dress is for Lily, my first cousin three times removed; her grandmother is my mother’s cousin. She’s 18 months old and is the flower girl in her uncle’s wedding. He is my first cousin twice removed, his mother is Lily’s grandmother. The family ties come full circle because Lily’s grandmother, my mother’s cousin, was the flower girl at my parent’s wedding in 1957.

The pattern is Butterick 5458 in a size 2; I made a few alterations. I wasn’t crazy about the rounded neckline so I made it a more elegant bateau shape. The back zipper was eliminated and replaced with a simple slit closed with a buttonloop. The button is vintage; its from my grandmother’s stash and I added a pearl in the center to dress it up a bit. The pattern has a back zipper however I think a zipper on a toddler dress is just weird. The wedding is in North Carolina next month and the dress is fully lined in batiste so she won’t need to wear a slip because it will be pretty hot. The fashion fabric is Kaufman seersucker from Fabric.com and this is a beautiful fabric! I may need to order a few more yards I need new summer shirts! If you’re doing vintage pattern sewing this seersucker is the real thing and it’s a joy to sew. The hem of the lining and her bib are trimmed in ecru Cluny lace from my grandmother’s stash. Lily’s mother will love the family ties, my late grandmother is Lily’s great-great aunt. I also made her a diaper cover because the heirloom effect is kind of ruined with a modern disposable diaper. Fortunately I haven’t thrown out all of my baby patterns and I was able to draft the diaper cover from a romper in OOP Simplicity 5115. The bib was a last minute idea. A few years ago I made a silk organza christening gown for a friend and it ended up with a big formula stain on it and I don’t want Lily’s Mom to spend the whole wedding fretting over this dress. Now Lily can wear her matching bib at dinner and have a piece of wedding cake with no worries. I drafted a pattern for the bib from the dress bodice and it lined with batiste as well. The silk ribbon ties are a remnant from my stash. The sash is a good quality polyester organza from Jo-Ann’s if you can believe it!

Overall this was a very relaxing project it was perfect for summer; the finishing and details were most of the work. When my daughters were little I made lots of heirloom garments for them and it was nice to stroll down memory lane.