Threads Body Double – Part 3

inner-layer-front

inner-layer-front

This week I finished the body shell that matches my shape, the next time Ann and I get together to do the padding I’ll share what the final version look like. My goal this weekend was to make up the inner layer that is a zero-ease cover for my dress form. The fabric is a fun fabric from IKEA, this project is a lot of work and I might as well make it as attractive as possible right? In his Threads article Kenneth recommends draping a cover right onto the dress form. I started to do that after one piece I realized I could also just use the same Butterick fitting shell pattern that I used to fit my double to my body. The waist had to be lowered back to its original length but otherwise it pretty much fit my dress form as is. The photos show the pinning out that needs to happen to make it absolutely tight and notice I added a center bust dart to match the same one added on my double. Another important thing about the inner cover is that the zipper needs to be installed inside out, e.g. installed with the slider facing towards me, not against the dress form.

inner-layer-back

inner-layer-back

Next step is to pencil mark the pinned seams and then true everything up. I did make one big change from Kenneth’s method, notice the armholes were cut out. He instructs to bring the side seam up over the collapsible shoulders and cover them. I cut them because my shoulders are very narrow – so narrow in fact – that they are only as wide as the shoulders when I collapse them on the form (for real!) I don’t want to leave the shoulders permanently collapsed so I’m thinking of covering the armholes with a knit that will stretch when the shoulders are opened back up. Not sure yet how I’ll sew that however.

Next week is just a 2 day work week so I’ll be able take a nice sew-cation and figure this out.