This version was originally going to be 3/4 sleeve with a french cuff like Version 2 and when it came time to add the sleeves I
messed up the contrast fabric decided it looked better with a short sleeve, the long sleeves seem too “heavy” looking somehow. But I did add a contrast inner facing to the sleeves instead of the grograin ribbon noted in the pattern. The plum colored buttons are from Pam at Fashion Sewing Supply, these are the buttons she sells by the “scoop” and they are really great for shirts and blouses because (1) the colors are fab and (2) they are at a great price. After mine arrived I spent a zen hour or two listening to music and sorting them out by color into small zip lock bags, which makes it easier to match them to fabric. I ended up with a least 8-12 buttons each in 7-8 different colors.
This fabric is a kind of soft and heavy blue broadcloth-ish cotton with faint stripes in white and bright blue so the buttonholes are matched to the blue stripes. I like to use machine embroidery thread for buttonhole because the fibers are smooth and I like the sheen. The placket and collar edge has matching blue topstitching in regular thread. One disappointment is that I worked so hard to match the white stripe horizontally across the placket but I still messed that up as well and it also match it to the blue – but it’s a subtle mistake and I’ll wear this shirt anyway :)
For the next version I have some fitting refinements to make and I really need to work on a cleaner join where the collar stand meets the placket at center front.
All in all a good basic spring-summer shirt